Wednesday 16 November 2011

Evaluation of shoot day

9:00am-9:45am

Honey helping me with my wild hair! 
We spent the first 45 mins sorting out my costume, hair and make-up. We then planned what scenes we were going to shoot first and when we would film the bathroom scenes.

9:45am-12:30pm
I discussed with Sophie and Honey how I was going to perform 'Dummy' in her role. I wanted to portray a disturbed and dark nature for her star persona, and so her style would also suit the music style. Sophie and Honey helped to direct me, but it was fair to say I mostly directed myself as I improvised the performance on the day.

During the shoot, however, I subconsciously presented a more erotic image for the star. But because the lighting was very low key and the wallpaper and mise en scéne of the bedroom very sleazy - this added another element to Dummy's 'personality' that worked well.

The lighting we chose to use was a mix of warm yellow, with some pale blue. The warm yellow gave a  warmth to the room, indicating it was dark outside and giving the impression of lamp lighting in the room.The warm lighting colour was used in the 'memory shot' scenes where the couple are happy and toasting together. Though we used a mix of yellow and blue lighting in the present day performance shots. The yellow created a sense of realism along with the underlying blue tones which gave a sense that there was not something quite right with the character.

We decided to get all my bedroom scenes done first. A sequence and selection of mid-shots, close up shots and wide shots were taken of my performance in the bedroom scenes.

Mid-Shots
These helped to show both my facial expression and body language reading.

Close-Up Shots
Helped to define and focus solely on the expression my character gave.

Wide Shots
These gave a general view and mise en scéne of the room.

Crane Shots
We used some crane shots filming above the bed
to get a more male perspective of the singer, appealing to the target audience.


Filming one of our 'crane' shots, as the camera moves
up from bed
Tracking Shots
We also experimented with tracking shots - for example, we use a tracking shot above the bed as the camera moves up and away from me. This gives the audience distance from the character, implying she is dangerous.

We also ended up ad-libing a lot of shots because our storyboard had not worked out as well as we had hoped. If i'm honest - we hadn't completed it to our satisfaction due to lack of preparation time and planning!

1:20pm-6:00pm
We continued for an hour on specific sections of shooting. For example, we shot some images of my hands, and sections of my body as the camera moved up me. The 'random' body and hand shots enhanced the sexual nature to 'Dummy'. These shots had been decided on the spur of the moment because I had created a more erotic persona for the singer. We also added a pull focus shot from one eye to the other and then we decided to film some downward crane shots of me on the bed.

Going in for a smooch..?
After this hour, we brought Walter in to work with us. I got changed into my second costume, and we prepared to set up for our second batch of shoots.

Walter and I had screen tested our kissing shots the day before, so that there would be no awkwardness on the day and we could get on with the scene. I helped to direct Walter in his acting, and I suppose had the most influence on his performance because we had to work off each other.

The scenes we shot between Walter and I were very much improvised, although we did try to keep to the original storyboard shots.

Added extra scenes with Walter

Ad-libing an argument with Walter! 
  • The couple are holding each other intimately and 'Dummy' is about to kiss her boyfriend, when he chucks her violently onto the bed to suggest possible rape or just general aggressive behavior. The audience can interpret it in whatever way they feel.
  • A shot of 'Dummy' rushing to get ready for work as her boyfriend lies in the background smoking in bed. The rumpled bed sheets and putting on of clothes suggests the couple have just been sexually active - or she has been raped.
  • Over the shot focuses on couple arguing with one another. We had to improvise words when we acted to create a more realistic 'arguing' image! 
  • The couple are happy together for once. They are lounging by the bed drinking red wine- the wine foreboding the boyfriend's future murder and again the reference to religion. They are laughing and having a good time.
Scenes we kept from storyboard
  • The ghost of the boyfriend calling his girlfriends name haunting and tormenting her.
  • Shot of him walking up from behind her and covering her mouth. 
    Importance of my performance - acting for a specific target audience

    I was disappointed I hadn't been able to film any shots myself as I was relied upon to perform, but I did direct many of my own scenes. For example, I had the task of making sure that the star image of our artist came across and I was delivering to the right target audience - aiming more for 18+ male based audience (appeal with violent sexual scenes, erotic image of artist and the suggestive mise en scéne shots).

    I also came up with the setting and design for our video and chose the song!




    No comments:

    Post a Comment