Thursday 26 January 2012

Task 3 What have you learned from your audience feedback?


Our feedback was extremely helpful and gave us a real insight into how our audiences viewed and interpreted our product. 

I had released the video virally on social networking sites such as Facebook to receive feedback. The video became quite popular on my page and my friends on Facebook additionally shared the pages onto other people's profile's. I have demonstrated two examples below of the spread and sharing of my video on Facebook. One my own posting, the other an internet fan of my music which I post online, who additionally shared the release of 'my new music video'. 



As you can see from my post I left on Facebook, the video became very popular amongst friends and fans who are support of my online music sharing. You can see this from the 22 likes and 19 comments which you can view below:


It was interesting to see that one of the feedback comments mentioned Madonna's 'Cross' in our video. I was glad that an audience member picked up on this because Madonna's 'Like a Prayer' was a very big influence on my work towards the music video. 

Additionally I posted our video onto YouTube where we have received several video views (884 views as I type) 

It is notable that the video has had considerable popularity in comparison to other pop music videos  posted online by media students due to number of views, likes etc. I am guessing that from our feedback, because the video is quite controversial, this might be why we have some dislikes on our video.  However, we could not guarantee the video was going to suit everybody's tastes - but this was due to the star's dark style and narrative we wanted to convey. Plus our video still reached a good viewing number and seemed popular for its target audience. 

We received 10 comments which you can find below: 



Interestingly, all the comments appear to be from males. We have reached a good target audience as we wanted to have a male target audience from the start. It is additionally interesting to see that a very popular comment was the 'your hot' posting. As flattering as it is, this does demonstrate that the sex appeal comes across that we were trying to communicate - and the viewers do not seem disappointed!  

However, there does seem to be some confusion as to whether I am actually singing on this track or not. It is notable the amount of times I have had to repeat myself and confirm that I have been lipsynching to the track. This might have been a weakness on our part as most common conventions of music videos use the actual artist to lip sync the track. However because this was a media A Level music video, I don't really take this into consideration because we are simply trying to imitate the way the music industry go about creating a star image. 

I made a short questionnaire and sent some out to random students around college and here are some interesting feedbacks I had:

"It had a very Salome-Esque feel to it" 
(Male aged 17 years) 

"I initially thought the video was about prostitution, and the controversial cross on the wall  questioning her behaviour"
(Male aged 19 years) 

"I thought it was about abusive relationships, a strong woman standing up for herself, one who won’t let a man walk all over her."
(Female aged 18 years)


Here is some feedback from two females discussing the narrative, star image and their own interpretation of the music video. 



No comments:

Post a Comment